Victorian illustration to download showing the interior of the Sculpture Gallery, Holdernesse House, during a ball held in 1850 by the Marquess of Londonderry. Men and women in full evening dress relax and look at the sculptures in a large, grand room lit by a skylight and many candles. Holdernesse House, Park Lane, later Londonderry House, was designed by James ‘Athenian’ Stewart, the pioneer of the Neoclassic style, in the 1760s. Much of the sculpture in this room was by Canova (1757-1822). The house was sold in 1962 and demolished to make way for the London Hilton.