Victorian illustration to download showing a picture of passengers in the Thames Subway. Men, women and children, including a messenger boy with a parcel, sit on the padded seats of a railway carriage lit by a gas lamp. The Thames Subway went under the river from Tower Hill to Southwark. Within an iron tube a railway carriage carrying 12 people ran by means of a wire cable over a drum revolved by a stationary engine. The engineer was W H Barlow, and it was completed in 1870. It soon went bankrupt, and was converted to a pedestrian tunnel with a halfpenny toll. When the toll-free Tower Bridge opened in 1894, the subway’s income dropped, and it was closed to pedestrians in 1898. Today it contains water mains.