Opening of Britannia Bridge, 1850

Victorian illustration to download showing a picture of the first steam train to cross the Menai Strait between Anglesey and the Welsh mainland on the Britannia Bridge on the day it opened in 1850, watched by a crowd of onlookers. Robert Stephenson, the engineer, designed a tubular bridge of wrought iron box-section spans supported on masonry piers. The four stone lions, a pair at each end of the bridge, were by John Thomas. In 1970 the bridge was badly damaged by fire; it was rebuilt and opened again in 1972.