Launch of a floating dock

Victorian illustration to download showing a picture of the launch of a huge floating dock at Woolwich in 1868; it was built for the Royal Naval Dockyard, Bermuda, where the porosity of the local stone made the construction of a dry dock impossible. The dock was towed to Bermuda in 1869, and remained in use until 1906. Its rusting remains can still be seen.