Victorian illustration to download showing a picture of the Albert Hall and the Royal Horticultural Society’s garden, South Kensington, c1871. In the foreground three workmen chat round a brazier. In the background the Albert Memorial can just be seen. The RHS (President: Prince Albert) set up these gardens in 1861: 20 acres were surrounded by arcades and a conservatory designed by the architects Sydney Smirke and Francis Fowke. The gardens closed in 1882 – the site is now occupied by the Science Museum, Imperial College and the Royal College of Music.